[mapguide-internals] About the WiX installer

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 06:17:14 EST 2009

Okay, now that I have commit access. I want to lay out my current plans wrt
the (wix installer / build system), before I go and cause any damage :-)

1. One-click "build everything" batch files.

I was surprised that MapGuide did not have a batch file that would build
everything like FDO did. So I wrote one myself, which is based on the FDO
one and Jason's old build instructions here
(http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Building_MapGuide_on_Windows).

2. Use the Apache source in Oem\LinuxApt instead of maintaining a separate
binary distribution.

The reason I prefer using the Apache source is because building it as simple
as typing:

nmake /f Makefile.win _apacher
nmake /f Makefile.win installr INSTDIR=theinstallationdirectory

This does not incur any additional overhead in pre-requisite libraries. It
also has the side benefit of being synchronised with the Linux Apt package
(whenever the apache distro is updated, so will this one)

Thoughts?

- Jackie