[mapguide-internals] Re: Please review RFC 74

Christine Bao Christine.Bao at autodesk.com
Tue Jul 7 23:39:35 EDT 2009

Hi Jason,

     Thank you for your reply.

     DbXml doesn't have "cascade references" like RDBMS, so I'm going to enumerate all the referencing resources and update them one by one. As another talk with Kenneth said, this may be time-consuming, but it's the only way to do this. A good news is: because this are done in server side by a single request, it's much faster than Maestro's way which sends each update in one request.
     About how to find the referencing resources, I'll use EnumerateReferences() API which actually does a xml query.
     I'm not sure about what is "external" resources. I'll update all the referencing resources no matter it's in the same folder or outside.
     It can't fix unresolved reference, that is if the link is already broken, user has to fix it manually.

     The copy operation you mentioned is cool. It may be covered in another ticket http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/ticket/606, but it's not covered by this RFC.

Thanks & regards,
Christine