[mapguide-internals] MapGuide RFC 67 - Common Print Layout and Print Layout Elements ready for review

Chris Claydon chris.claydon at autodesk.com
Wed Jul 15 11:16:10 EDT 2009

Hi Jason,

I apologize for not responding sooner - I just got back from vacation.

The existing PrintLayout schema is very rigid, and very limited. The intention in creating a new schema (and a new service to support creation and management of the corresponding resources) is to provide a solid foundation for printing and plotting that is capable of supporting a wide variety of graphical objects (maps, north arrows, scale bars, various types of adornment, annotations etc.) and to be applicable in as many environments as possible, including both desktop applications and web applications (so some settings may not be applicable in all environments).

The most important thing in the design of the schema is to ensure that it can be used in the future as the single underlying format for essentially anything that we want to print or publish, and I believe that should include basic printing, DWF export, HTML, PDF etc. The idea of using it as the basis for web layouts has also come up, though I think that may introduce a level of complexity that would interfere with its overall usefulness (not to mention the vast amount of work that would be required to something like the Fusion framework to make that actually happen).

So, to answer one of your questions - I would love to see this replace the use of MgLayout and MgPlotSpecification in the mapping service. And I also think it would be great to have some kind of generic publishing service to output these layouts in a variety of formats. There would certainly be a lot of work involved in achieving these goals, and I'm not sure that the MGOS community has the resources to address them in the short term. But I feel that it is important to do everything we can to ensure that the print layout schema and service design provides the necessary base functionality to enable the achievement of these goals in the future.

Thank you very much for your previous comments, by the way - I'm in the process of updating the proposed schema to address the issues that you raised.

In a separate email you raised a concern about the recent submissions against the as-yet-unapproved RFC. The purpose of these submissions was to allow collaboration between various developers at remote sites, allowing them to gain access to, and to build upon the underlying print-layout-related classes. The classes in question are essentially isolated from the rest of the MapGuide code base, and any APIs they contain are internal. So there is very low risk of their introducing any destabilization. I appreciate that in order to conform strictly to the open source development process, these submissions should not have occurred prior to the final approval of the RFC, or should have been made in a sandbox project. Unfortunately, by delaying the collaboration process, or by adding the additional overhead of updating the build processes and related projects to reference a sandbox, the entire development on this feature would have been jeopardized. The code submitted so far should be considered an initial revision, and will be updated as necessary to reflect changes that stem from the review of the RFC. If you still have concerns over the presence of this code in the subversion vault, please let me know.

Thank you again for your help in ensuring that we design this the right way!

Cheers,

Chris.