[mapguide-internals] MapGuide Sponsorship money for bug fixes

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Mon Jul 27 21:02:14 EDT 2009

Hey guys,

>From what I understand, other OSGeo projects have been using sponsorship money to fund bug fixes and development work.  I wonder if we should implement something similar for MapGuide?

http://www.osgeo.org/sponsorship/opportunities

http://www.gdal.org/sponsorship.html
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc9_maintainer
http://n2.nabble.com/GDAL-Project-Maintainer-Contracted-td2088530.html

The GRASS project accepts PayPal donations in any amount directly through GFOSS.it  (http://grass.osgeo.org/donation.php).  OSGeo has accepted GFOSS.it as the Italian Chapter of OSGeo.  Since more than half of the MapGuide PSC is based in Canada, would it make sense to set up a Canadian OSGeo Chapter?  As a separate corporate entity, the Canadian OSGeo Chapter could issue donation receipts to Canadian entities.

As per the project sponsorship guidelines http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Project_Sponsorship, we could also earmark 25% of the funds received for OSGeo  Foundation support.

Is this worth pursuing?  Does anyone have alternative suggestions?