[mapguide-internals] RE: Refactoring Web .NET API into Common DLLs is ready for review.

Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S ks at geograf.dk
Thu Jun 25 13:10:42 EDT 2009

I see no use for it with regards to Maestro.

I originally skipped the MapGuide.Net API, because it is just a wrapper
for unmanaged code.
The unmanaged code removes all the portability benefits.
If I were to use, say the coordinate system code, in Maestro, I would
have to
provide 32 and 64 bit versions, for both windows, linux and mac.
That is too high a price for me, so I would not use it for Maestro,
regardless of the split.

The other issue is that none of the types map nicely to the .Net types,
so eg. a stream
cannot be handled as a .Net stream, meaning that no framework methods
can work directly on it.

So, even if you have an application that is not supposed to be portable,
it would not be
as easy to use as it could be. As for the geometry library, I would
recommend TF.Net instead.

I have no ideas for the use of PlatformBase or Foundation with .Net.
The .Net framework appears to have superior native versions of much
of what is inside those two libraries.

I there were a clear use case for the split, it would be easier to
comment on.

Regards, Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S