[mapguide-internals] MapGuide RFC 69 - Rendering Layer Styles

Scott Hameister scotth at mpowerinnovations.com
Mon Jun 29 11:33:49 EDT 2009

That’s What I was trying to ask is why Its iterating one item at a time and not bulk querying for themes...

I understand that moving a theme rule to the top means that if that rule is met do not continue to another rule...and if we render in Rules order everything would get rendered reverse order "first rule rendered on bottom"...also a problem could have been that it was programmed so that an object couldn’t match more than one rule...Was that the case? Anyone? Too many objects to keep track of if we say an object can only match one rule?

Honestly I would rather have that be the case, have it faster and be forced to tidy up my Theme Rules than have no control over render order or labeling in a theme....Id rather have it that rules and Draw order are opposite and clean up my rules than have zero control.

This would fix Priority on themeing things like road networks, so Major Interstates, highways etc, would render and label over local roads etc.

Now if some one would just get into Studio and Maestro a simple HWY shield creator instead of forcing XML editing. I know not all maps have road networks in them, but I would guess the majority do....Having capabilities is fine, having usability is another...Id rather Teach an everyday gov't GIS person, with no programming abilities, how to read hieroglyphs than how to edit, Upload, and decipher errors in the stylization XML...Just my two cents