[mapguide-internals] Installer: .net framework really required?

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 03:02:35 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I was wondering whether the installer should really have the .net framework
as a requirement.

I ask this because .net framework is still an *optional* component in
Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, and I don't really want to burden the
user with an additional 20mb download even when they are not going to use
any features that require .net (eg. Maestro, ASP.net map viewer).

Of course, if Microsoft got their act together, they would've made it a
required system component delivered via automatic updates and I wouldn't
have be asking this question right now.

Thoughts?