[mapguide-internals] My MSI Install Issues

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 11:15:44 EDT 2009

Thanks to stackoverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/151403/what-is-a-good-free-utility-to-create-a-self-extracting-executable-with-an-embedd

I am 99.95% certain I have solved the bootstrapping problem. I am now using
NSIS, not as an installer engine, but as a self-extracting package that
contains the (msi + bootstrapper setup.exe + pre-requisistes) and extracts
them to a temp directory, where it then runs the setup.exe

And unlike other sfx engines, we have 100% control over the entire process.
No deleting the msi from under setup.exe's nose!

I just tried this on a bare-bones Windows XP, and it works like a charm.

Just for good measure, I tried it on my Windows 7 beta test image
(Apache/PHP). It too worked like a charm! And my previous attempts have all
failed miserably!

Kinda funny how we've come full-circle back to NSIS!

- Jackie