[mapguide-internals] mgos 2.1 state

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Mon May 4 23:24:32 EDT 2009

We've got RFCs.  RFC 21 even went to vote (but never picked up enough votes; I think it was a bad time of year) and Greg agreed to set up a sandbox for Helio to work in.

http://n2.nabble.com/FDO-RFC-21---New-Linux-Buildsystem-Cmake-Based-td2051996.html

http://n2.nabble.com/RE%3A--mapguide-internals--build-script-confusion-RFC62----tp2649415p2650948.html

"As a start on moving this RFC forward, why don’t you submit the "CMakeLists.txt" files that you have ready, and we can go from there. "

Picking it up again should be as simple as asking for a sandbox in fdo-internals, getting commit rights (with CLA), and having at it.

I'd personally support taking the same approach for MapGuide if there are people interested in getting a cross-platform build system going.  I do like CMake and Ant has also been mentioned.

Note, cross-platform builds are not really the goal here, but CMake appears to give a clean system where dependencies can be easily managed.  Any work would also mean doing our best to remove our current hard-coded dependencies on the specific (usually stale) third party library versions in OEM.  If we didn't have that huge overhead, it would be easier to bundle MapGuide in distro-specific installer packages.