[mapguide-internals] RFC60 for vote please

Zac Spitzer zac.spitzer at gmail.com
Mon May 11 23:04:59 EDT 2009

UV is currently moving house and is hence 'offline' at the moment

He is happy to add the support for the enhanced stylisation, changing the
text of the RFC is no issue.

Walt,

I just spoke to UV on the phone, he would really like some pointers
as he's not familiar with the enhanced stylisation stuff and the map base we
have doesn't really use the enhance stylisation stuff.

The main issue which this addresses is large areas of fill color like seas which
demonstrates the issue.

If we had a sandbox going, we could have a test build which some of these
questions could be easily checked against.

Due to the installer dev stuff we have had a rather quirky (pre) beta stage.

I agree with the sentiment of the "you need to finish what you start"
but I also
agree with Jason's point. Looking at the process so far, it took a long time
to get any code reviews.

Moving forward, I gather if we change the text of the RFC to indicate
that enhanced
stylisation will be supported, we can then approve the RFC?

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 3:19 AM, Jason Birch <Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca> wrote:
> It seems clear that you're not happy with the current state of the RFC.  If this is the case, then vote -1 and stop the vote.  It's just a process thing; we don't want to modify the RFC while the vote is in process or it will invalidate the previous votes. If the RFC has defects, then these can be addressed and it can be brought to vote again.
>
> My personal concern is that this RFC is being held up because it is not a complete implementation.  If this is the case, and the partial implementation causes defects with existing functionality, then that's clearly unacceptable.  If the partial implementation is technically sound and does not affect existing functionality, then I don't think it should be held up.
>
> This will come up again and again in the future (hopefully) when we have developers working for clients who may only be able to pay or have need for a partial solution.  Rejecting this work or requiring investment beyond the client's needs is not going to be sustainable and will discourage incremental development.

Zac Spitzer -
http://zacster.blogspot.com
+61 405 847 168