[mapguide-internals] MG Object stream serialization/deserialization

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Wed Nov 4 06:24:58 EST 2009

Hey guys,

The programmatic (web extensions) API which is based on wrapped C++ objects is much more involved than the HTTP API.  As far as I know, there are about 100 methods exposed in the HTTP API.  The web extensions API consists of approximately 130 classes and 1400 method calls.  It is much richer and much more complicated.

The problem with backward compatibility is what should the API do if objects change.  If you add a new data member to a C++ class which gets passed around in the API, how do you deal with it?  Probably the only solution is to default the new data member to something "reasonable" if an old API signature is used.  However, this is avoided if the object definitions on the web extensions and the server are in sync.  That way you know what you are getting instead of some side effect of "somewhat" incompatible API versions and objects.

I agree, backward compatibility would make it easier from a deployment perspective but it is a non-trivial piece of work to maintain backward compatibility.  I'm sure Sun and Microsoft do a very good job of maintaining backward compatibility but MapGuide does not have hundreds of developers and testers working on the project.

If someone can get backward compatibility buy in from all the contributors, I may be willing to support such an initiative.  I believe this would mean that every RFC moving forward would have to explicitly consider and address coding and testing of any backward compatibility issues.