[mapguide-internals] 2.1.0 Final Windows Installer

Gabriele Monfardini gabrimonfa at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 13:04:06 EST 2009

> Right now, the address is only available on the Trac site (linked from the
> main page):

It is clearly very difficult to find in the homepage.

> Have to say, I feel more and more like the Drupal site is a duplication of
> effort and a bit of a pain...

mapguide.osgeo.it is clearly the more visible site about mapguide (the
first one you find using a search engine) and not always appears to be
up-to-date in all its parts. Just to report my impressions.

I have also some other (humble) suggestions.

Since MapGuide Open Source is not targeted only to Windows, is it
possible to modify the release notes in order to remove Windows-only
elements where unneeded and state clearly when they are really
Windows-only?
Examples:

"Some RDBMS FDO providers may not work out of the box without the
proper libraries installed. For example:
    * PostGIS provider requires libpq.dll"
may become
"Some RDBMS FDO providers may not work out of the box without the
proper libraries installed. For example:
    * PostGIS provider requires libpq shared library (libpq.dll under
Windows, libpg.so under Red Hat or other GNU/Linuxes"

"Disk Space
The installer requires at least 1.5GB of disk space on C: during
installation. Otherwise installation may not proceed. "
may become
"Windows installer
The installer requires at least 1.5GB of disk space on C: during
installation. Otherwise installation may not proceed. "

Another suggestion.
SVN checkout is quite slow, and MgDev is quite big.
I've seen here
http://svn.osgeo.org/mapguide/trunk/MgDev/BuildTools/WebTools/7-Zip/
that 7-Zip binaries (only for Windows and version 4.42, when current
one is 4.65) are included in SVN.

I don't think it is a good idea to track 7-Zip or any other external
software binaries (moreover for just one of the supported platform...)
Why don't add a link to http://www.7-zip.org/download.html in the
README and get rid of those files?

Regards,

Gabriele