[mapguide-internals] Re: OEM libraries was: 2.1.0 Final Windows Installer

UV uvwild at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 23 13:44:21 EST 2009

SOURCE COPIES
As with most other projects I have worked with, the used OSS libraries
are simply copied to the
repository and build from there.
Although this prohibites the advantages of the OSS that somebody else
might have fixed a bug in the meanwhile,
integration and debugging are largely simplified, thats why its a
popular approach.

VERSION CHECKING
I fully agree that pointing an OSS build to the source server of the
included library is very desirable,
however, to configure the build system to use a library from somewhere
else is not so easy.
I think this would have to start with adding code to the DLL loader so
it can be configured with permissible
library versions. This seems to be a paramount requirement for such
endeavor.
When this is done we can consider a scheme to provide ready build OSS
libraries in the repository.
Already some svn external links are used for some other sub projects, so
this is one way to go.

EXTERNAL LINKS
This could be the starting point of a OEM library inclusion scheme based
on header files and a set of ready built DLLs
included in the repository using external links. It should still be
possible to rebuild the system from source to provide for a complete
debug build.

However, to make this work is a mission which need to be well motivated.
I believe for most developers there are enough other issuess they
consider more important than this.

CI FIRST
First of all I would strongly suggest to first get the continous
integration (CI) system going before changing the build environment.
A previous attempt in this already exposed some of the issues which stem
from little incompatibilities between project structures.
As MapGuide is multi-platform development changing the build that it
works everywhere is hard.
Without a working CI system such a task is painful and inefficient.

CLASSIFICATION ATTEMPT
ACE             is probably better included as source due to its tight
integration in the server and use of inline code
agg-2.4         could/should be external???
CppUnit-1.9 could/should be external???
CsMap         already external
DBXML       maybe better external as its big and a good example to use
external to improve from outside help
DWFTK       could/should be external???
FDO             external and manually added to the build and installation
fusion            already external
php               could/should be external???
SQLite          ???
SWIGex        ???

So a build mechanism which lets the user choose between an external open
source lib and the included source would be needed to make this useful.
Anyone interested?