[mapguide-internals] RFC60 finalization

UV uvwild at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 23 09:02:34 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I looked into the RFC60 code again and added some more features to it
e.g. finding label colors.

However, a redirection of referenced featureIds which would cause a FDO
lookup seems prohibitive expensive in this context.
I would not like to add this into the code simply as it could increase
delay tile computation a lot.
So the interesting test here are performance related. Simple unit-tests
are not sufficient for this.
Creating complex test data to test performance issues is tedious and
very badly motivated!!! (specification vs. implementation from same hand)

Secondly, it think it is wrong to request the implementation of the new
stylization for such transparent feature addition.
RFC60 works fine for our case, why should we implement something that
does not harm anything but what we do not need?
This is not thought along open source paradigms.  Open source is more
like: Who needs it should code it!
So we should leave this open and the next person that has real test data
which doesn't work can post a defect!
Very easy process!

RFC60 is not trivial at all but it solves a real problem in real maps.
To block the inclusion of RFC60 into the code base on those matters is
simply wrong in open source terms as it keeps others from using a new
working feature.