[mapguide-internals] RE: The pinned connection

Robert Bray robert.bray at autodesk.com
Sun Oct 25 21:17:56 EDT 2009

I've been watching this thread for awhile now, it's all very interesting. At some point either Haris or UV asked for clarification around the use cases. I tend to agree with who ever made that comment. From a project perspective there has been enough concern raised over this RFC that I think we should re-submit the RFC for vote once we decide what the right thing is.

Now to the technical aspects, but first some history. The original design of the FeatureServices API dating back to 2005 or so actually looked like this:

conn = featureService.GetConnection(resId);
reader = conn.SelectFeatures(...);
reader.Close();
conn.Close();

At the time I discarded this design simply because I wanted a completely stateless interface for scalability reasons. In the end the reader had to be stateful and hence the connection state was persisted between the web and server tier anyway. However we still avoided having stateful connections held across HTTP requests. Holding connections across HTTP requests is a guaranteed scalability killer for a web application. I can recite tons of technologies that have tried to do this and failed.

So what's the use case and what's the scalability requirement of the application? E.g. exactly how many concurrent users do you anticipate will need to hold a connection over HTTP?

Bob