[mapguide-internals] MapGuide RFC 68 is updated.

Leaf Li leaf.li at autodesk.com
Tue Sep 8 21:27:42 EDT 2009

All,

In MapGuide RFC 68, we change the old MapGuide .NET assembly into an assembly with five netmodules. However, we found there are the following issues for this solution.

l  Generally, the assembly with multiple netmodules is applied to the assembly whose netmodules has no dependencies. In MapGuide, Geometry netmodule depends on Foundation netmodule and PlatformBase netmodule depends on Foundation and Geometry netmodules.

l  If the applications based on MapGuide .NET API want to do some changes to their API and they use TypeForwardedTo attribute to keep backward compatibility of their .NET API, it will not work because there is one bug in .NET framework 2.0. This bug results in TypeForwardedTo functionality doesn't work with assebmly with multiple netmodules. There is no public document for this bug. However, I already got confirmation from Microsoft.

l  The solution that Microsoft recommends to keep backward compatibility of API is to use TypeForwardedTo attribute instead of netmodule.

So we want to use TypeForwardedTo attribute to keep backward compatibility of MapGuide .NET API too. I tied it. I works and resolves all of issues above.

MapGuide RFC 68 is updated too, can you take a look at it?
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MapGuideRfc68

Thanks,
Leaf Li