[mapguide-internals] RE: [mapguide-users] MapGuide Project Sponsorship RFC 83

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Fri Sep 11 22:20:44 EDT 2009

Hi Andy,

We were planning to use the standard OSGeo Project Sponsorship mechanism http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Project_Sponsorship.  From what I understand, this mechanism calls for a minimum sponsorship amount of $500 USD.  I expect this lower limit was set to reduce the reporting and management overhead associated with managing small payment amounts.

I believe GDAL/OGR and OpenLayers both use the OSGeo Project Sponsorship mechanism and they have a $500 minimum.  GRASS GIS does not use the OSGeo sponsorship mechanism and they do not place a lower limit on the sponsorship amount.

Currently, our Builds Donation button uses a PayPal account owned by OTX Systems (my company).  I think this is ok the for builds since OTX Systems is supplying the service.  However, I am not sure it makes sense to use that account for general MapGuide project sponsorship.  OTX Systems would not be the sole provider of services rendered for project sponsorship.

To me, using an OTX Systems PayPal account for general MapGuide Sponsorship seems messy from an accounting, taxation, and ownership standpoint.  Since the PSC members are not OTX Systems Directors, they would not have explicit control over the money.  With the OSGeo Project Sponsorship mechanism, they (we) do.

Another alternative I see is to create a separate Canadian corporation with some/all PSC members being shareholders and directors.  This corporation could then set up a PayPal account, accept donations, and disperse funds accordingly.  To go along with the intent of OSGeo Project Sponsorship, 25% of the funds taken in should be donated to the OSGeo Foundation.  Suitable names could be the "Canadian MapGuide Foundation", or perhaps "Canadian OSGeo Chapter".

Personally, I like the idea of setting up a corporation to manage the sponsorship money.  But it does increase costs and someone will have spend lot of time to do all the corporate paperwork - income tax, annual returns, write up minutes, etc., etc.  We would have to raise at least $2000 from the community just to cover corporation setup, accounting/tax software, and the OSGeo Foundation donation.