[mapguide-internals] RFC60 ??? - at least a sandbox please

Walt Welton-Lair walt.welton-lair at autodesk.com
Fri Sep 18 18:57:23 EDT 2009

I think you should create your own test map - it's not hard.  Use one of your existing tiled maps, and modify a couple of your layer definitions to use the new stylization.

Start by looking in the UnitTest\TestData\Symbology folder.  It contains sample symbols / layers used by the unit test.

  - the .sd files are sample symbol definitions (point / line /area)
      * symbol.sd / symbol.sd are point symbols
      * linesymbol.sd is a line symbol
      * areasymbol.sd is an area symbol

  - the .ldf files are sample layer definitions that reference these symbols - pay attention to the SymbolInstance element
      * UT_SymbologyPoints.ldf - an example of a layer referencing a point symbol
      * UT_SymbologyLines.ldf - an example of a layer referencing a line symbol
      * UT_SymbologyParcels.ldf - an example of a layer referencing an area symbol

To convert a layer to use the new stylization, replace any PointTypeStyle / LineTypeStyle / AreaTypeStyle element with a CompositeTypeStyle element, like in the unit test layer files.  You'll then want to do two tests with the layer (you'll want your RFC60 code to handle both):

1) Test using referenced symbol definitions.  This is what the .ldf files currently have.  The SymbolInstance contains a ResourceId element indicating which SymbolDefinition resource to use.  Obviously you'll need to add the symbol definitions to the repository.  I know MapGuide Studio lets you easily create them, or you can add them by hand using the Web forms.  One nice thing about using referenced symbols is that in a *debug* build you can make the ReferenceId point to a file on your machine, e.g.:

            <SymbolInstance>
              <ResourceId>C:\Temp\Symbols\SymbologyLines.sd</ResourceId>
            </SymbolInstance>

You can then easily edit the symbol to test different behaviors, without having to upload it all the time.

2) Test using inlined symbol definitions.  Instead of using a ResourceId tag just embed the SymbolDefinition directly, e.g.:
            <SymbolInstance>
                <SimpleSymbolDefinition>
                </SimpleSymbolDefinition>
            </SymbolInstance>

Of course you'll want to test using different symbol definitions.  Refer to the schema and RFC 14 for this.  Again, once you get a layer set up which uses a referenced symbol on your hard drive then it's very easy to test.  I also attached a zip with symbols + layers I've used in my testing.  You'll have to sort through it though.

Walt