[mapguide-internals] Toggling layers on and off in a load tester application.

Carl Jokl carl.jokl at keynetix.com
Fri Sep 25 11:44:05 EDT 2009

I am fairly far along in in development of a .Net MapGuide Enterprise load
tester. I have recently had some problems when trying to toggle layers on
and off on the test map. I thought that this was working but it looks like
it may not have been after all.

I used the grider script as a starting point and ported the functionality to
.Net using our own MapGuide framework's HttpRequest making component.

The problem which I am having is that when I am calling the code to turn off
a layer and getting the image back the image does not show that layer having
been turned off. I even used FireFox live headers to observer every request
which the AJAX viewer makes to the server and my code is making requests in
identical format and yet for me it isn't working. I have functionality to
translate layer names to ids as I know layer object ids need to be
submitted. I have tried both the route of creating an overlay image as well
as just creating a regular map image. Neither approach is showing the layer
I am trying to hide being hidden. I can't see what is different about the
requests that I am making from those made by the Ajax Viewer. I feel like I
have tried just about everything at this point. Matching even the parameter
order (not that this should matter in Http but you never know when dealing
with Autodesk Software). We are using MapGuide Enterprise 2010 Service Pack
1. There is the BEHAVIOR parameter. I am using the same one as the AJAX
viewer but I don't know what behaviour is associated with each number. I am
not sure if this is even documented as I might guess a lot of this stress
testing work is based on a fair amount of reverse engineering.

I did notice for a lot of the requests to create a dynamic map image overlay
by the AJAX view the CLIENTAGENT parameter appears twice in the url query. I
am pretty sure that this is a viewer bug.