[mapguide-internals] Avoiding unnecessary Tile Cache invalidation (Trac Ticket 1332)

Walt Welton-Lair walt.welton-lair at autodesk.com
Tue Apr 27 22:40:35 EDT 2010

Lots of people have complained about this over the years.  Some options:

- rip out the functionality
  - benefit: no more unexpected loss of tiles, less server overhead, extremely easy to implement
  - disadvantage: map authors have to remember to delete invalid tile sets

- add a serverconfig flag (a setting under tile service) to allow disabling the behavior
  - benefit: no more unexpected loss of tiles, less server overhead, still easy to implement

- design and implement a way to tag/lock individual tile sets, to prevent them from being deleted
  - disadvantage: requires the most effort

I think the second option should be considered.  The default behavior would be to enable the functionality, and it could be turned off for production servers.

Walt