[mapguide-internals] Review RFC 108 - support Watermark

Jason Birch jason at jasonbirch.com
Wed Aug 4 13:21:53 EDT 2010

By client side, I meant that Studio or Maestro be responsible for
doing any Map->Layer migration of the watermark assignment, rather
than having this be done automatically server side when the watermark
is defined on the Map.

Your point about a server-wide definition for a  watermark is a good one.

WMS allows specification of multiple layers in one call (LAYERS= I
think) but I don't know if MapGuide supports this.

On 2010-08-04, Dave Wilson <dave.wilson at autodesk.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean by client side.
>
> I think we need to separate and or determine when a "layer" based watermark
> would be used.
>
> In a dynamic map I would expect it rare that an individual layer would
> contain a watermark. I would expect the map to contain the watermark, but I
> won't preclude the option to set a layer based watermark, the question is is
> this for dynamic maps, WMS or both?
>
> When configuring a layer for WMS I can see setting a watermark specific to
> the layer. Alternately I can see setting a default watermark resource to be
> set for any WMS request not requiring a layer specific value to be used. The
> server level default could be disabled if desired or overridden by the layer
> level. If the end user has a map which requests multiple transparent layers
> from the same WMS server would we expect each to contain a watermark? If
> ideally it ends up in the same location hopefully they appear as one, but I
> suspect things may be off by a pixel or two: this would look really ugly. Do
> we anticipate multiple WMS layers from the same server to be displayed at
> once?
>
> Is it possible in any way to request multiple WMS layers be integrated into
> a single image from a WMS server?
>
> Dave

>>> symbols. So I think it should be fine to support DWF now and then not