[mapguide-internals] Please review RFC 105 - Enhance feature service GetCapabilities API

Tom Fukushima tom.fukushima at autodesk.com
Tue Jul 20 17:52:12 EDT 2010

Hi Bruce,

As I understand things, we are using a grey area of FDO for the new API.  That is, FDO does not define how providers should behave w.r.t. a getCapabilities when connected to the data source.  For example, I don't believe that the ODBC provider gives the correct capabilities yet depending on the data source that it is connected to.  With this in mind, I would think that the documentation should say that this new method should only be used for the WMS and WFS providers.  We should continue to use the other method (or pass in an empty connection string) for all other providers because 1) it's probably slower to have to open a connection before getting the capabilities and 2) the behavior of the providers might change once this grey area is defined by FDO.  If all of this is correct, we should update the RFC with this information.

Unless there is a compelling reason to remove it, I think that for backwards compatibility we should keep the existing API.

Thanks
Tom