[mapguide-internals] Please review RFC 107

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Wed Jul 28 08:16:14 EDT 2010

I agree with Zac.  Tile generation should be implemented as a server-side batch process.  The proposed GenerateTile could be used to implement the rendering portion of that process.  Exposing it over HTTP is not really required.  Using a client application to continuously monitor a server-side batch process is a bit strange.  The server should just generate a log from the tile generation process and allow the client to grab the log whenever required.

A server-side GenerateTile implementation is definitely required but it is only a small part of a much larger solution.  RFC 107 would likely take a day to implement since the tile generation process is already in place.

RFC 90 Meta Tiling increases tile generation performance by an order of magnitude.  This work should be completed before implementing any new tile generation mechanism.  In other words, the server-side batch process should make heavy use of RFC 90.

Once RFC 90 is in place, an enhanced Tile generation RFC could expose a GenerateTiles API which takes an extent and a scale.  Each API call would queue an area for rendering.  A serverconfig.ini parameter could be used to control the number of worker threads allocated to the rendering queue.

Additional APIs could be introduced to display the current state of the Tile generation queue and return the log from previously completed GenerateTiles calls.