[mapguide-internals] DBXML upgrade for MapGuide 2.3

Jason Birch jason at jasonbirch.com
Fri Jun 11 16:52:34 EDT 2010

I do like the approach of going to the latest stable release of these
packages and, where possible, modifying MapGuide to use system libraries
rather than our "OEM" versions.  I understand that there are a couple
libraries that have been enhanced specifically for MapGuide, such as maybe
GD and AGG, but in general we should avoid this and, where unavoidable, do
our best to push the changes upstream into the source projects.  AGG is a
bit of a special case because the branch we're using is no longer being
updated, and the newer stuff can't be used by MapGuide due to licencing
concerns.

I would want to confirm that Oracle's licence allows us to redistribute
DBXML as a non-integral part of our application (as a dedicated deb/rpm).
 It may just be that the distros haven't bothered doing this yet, but it
could also be that there are some legal hurdles.  If there are any doubts,
then we can just provide instructions on where to obtain DBXML and what
version we support.

Jason