WMS Enhancement? (Was: Re: [mapguide-internals] [RFC Review] RFC095 OGC WMS 1.3.0 Support)

Jason Birch jason at jasonbirch.com
Sat Jun 12 16:10:05 EDT 2010

I definitely see a need to publish both individual feature type layers
(MapGuide Layers) and composite layers (MapGuide Maps) via WMS.

In my ideal world, I could

- set the WMS metadata on individual layers, and set a flag whether to
publish directly or not.

-  set WMS metadata on the map definition, and set flags to publish a
composite WMS layer for the map, publish all child layers with WMS metadata
as individual WMS layers, or both.

I'm not sure how this would be best implemented in the GetCapabilities.  I
understand that there is the concept of nested layers in WMS; would this
allow us to send the MapDefinition render if the outside layer is requested,
and the LayerDefinition render if the inside layer is requested?  Or would
it be better to just publish the MapDefinition as another top level WMS
layer?

(here's an example of a GetCapabilities with nested layers:
http://atlas.gc.ca/cgi-bin/atlaswms_en?VERSION=1.1.1&request=Getcapabilities&service=wms
 )

Jason