[mapguide-internals] Mapguide 2.2 beta on Linux fails to setup locale from system

Gabriele Monfardini gabrimonfa at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 07:17:46 EDT 2010

SO: Centos 5.5
system locale: en-US.UTF-8
locale from serverconfig.ini: empty (from comment should default to
system locale)

provider: OGRProvider with libgdal rebuilt with Postgresql support.
viewer: plain Ajax

Postgresql locale: UTF-8

I have a layer which stylization involves a rule that check if a field
is equals to a string containing a 'à'

Obtained results:

* that rule fails
* every time that the rule is evaluated one apache thread dies with
this message in the error_log:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'MgInvalidArgumentException*'
[notice] child pid 32615 exit signal Aborted (6)

(no messages on server Error.log even if loglevel is 3 on all
services, and also this is not so good)

- Changing the rule to plain 'a' does not solve the error, thus the
problem is in fetching the data from the db
- Changing the rule to plain 'a' and changing the row in the db does
solve the error (layer is correctly stylized and no more messages in
the error_log)

Reverting back to 'à' both in the db and in the rules and setting
"locale = en-US.UTF-8" in serverconfig.ini does solve the problem.

Thus I suppose that mapguide is using an incorrect locale (maybe
ISO8859-1 instead of UTF-8) and complains about finding invalid
characters.
This is a regression, since with Mapguide 2.1 (compiled on Debian) and
the same data all works correctly.

Should I open a bug?

Gabriele