[mapguide-internals] Supporting PHP 5.3

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Sat Mar 20 19:28:06 EDT 2010

Hmm... Now that brings up another question.  I was hoping to bundle the Sheboygan sample app and data in the installers for the MapGuide 2.2 release.  The sample code is LGPL so that's not a problem.  Does the same apply for the sample data?

I took a quick look at a couple of the devguide sample scripts.  They are also LGPL.  I'm guessing the same goes for the data???

As for replacing the devguide, is it 114 pages long and governed by the Creative Commons license http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/legalcode.  This license is really wordy and we may need to get a legal opinion on what we can do with it.  Assuming we can translate it into another from and stick it in the Perforce, it could take someone over a month to do the translation assuming they do it by hand at 4 pages per day.  Ouch.

A rich set of project maintained data capable of being loaded into a variety of FDO providers along with some cool apps would be a great addition to the project.  Being a Canadian who is still smiling from the Golden Olympics, Geobase.ca might be a good place to start.  The roads network seems to cover most of Canada and they also have some satellite imagery.

I've also been thinking about how we could enhance the automated testing.  Our build environment could easily be extended to a build + test environment which includes a variety of databases, WMS servers, etc.  Having a rich data set with some decent maps would be a necessary first step.