[mapguide-internals] Some questions about mapguide sessions

Gabriele Monfardini gabrimonfa at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 07:12:46 EST 2010

Dear all,

I would like to ask you some questions about mapguide sessions and session data.

1. When a user browse on a map, the map is copied in a session
repository, in ~/Repositories/Session/MgSessionResourceContents.dbxml.
Is this correct?
What's the role of MgSessionResourceData.db? Is the directory
~/Repositories/Session/DataFiles used only for definition of layers
corresponding to redline?

2. When Mapguide crashes (and unfortunately it crashes quite often in
my environment...) what happens to user sessions and session data?

3. Cleaning of stale sessions and session data is controlled by
SessionTimeout and SessionTimerInterval serverconfig variables? I'm
experiencing strange crashing that seems to be somewhat related to
SessionTimerInterval.
Should I expect to see shrinking or touching of
MgSessionResourceContents every SessionTimerInterval?
What are the problems if SessionTimeout and SessionTimerInterval are
set to very high values (24 hours or so)?

4. Is there a way to disable the message "Session is expired or is
invalid" that is polluting my Error.log when server crashes with a lot
of users and is automatically restarted?
Is this exception thrown when a user makes a request with an invalid
(aka valid before server crash) session or is also thrown during stale
session cleaning?

Regards,

Gabriele