[mapguide-internals] Code Reveiw request: Remove IsNull check when get property from feature source

Jason Birch jason at jasonbirch.com
Tue Aug 16 02:05:11 EDT 2011

On 11 August 2011 10:37, Traian Stanev <traian.stanev at autodesk.com> wrote:

> Null is common. There are many sparse data sets where just a few rows have
> a value set and all the other rows have a null value.
>
> It might make sense to remove the null check only for the geometry value
> when rendering, which is almost never null, but I remember there was a data
> set with lots of null geometries as well.

Yeah, I've got a few of those.  One is our cemetery records where we have
data going back to the 1800's, and only about 80% of them are geolocated.
 But this happens often with a left join against an "attribute" dataset with
spatial mismatches or incompleteness.  Clean data would be awesome, but...

If I recall correctly, the change to current behaviour had an overall
beneficial outcome for my maps. Again, it was quite a while ago though...

I'd personally question reverting this change without some mitigating work
to the FDO layer to achieve similar effect. It must have
been initially implemented for a specific business reason.