[mapguide-internals] Unit testing and Builds Integration

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Wed Mar 30 09:57:07 EDT 2011

I have been looking into automated builds using Cruise Control (Java) and Cruise Control .Net.  Both platforms have integration capability with their respective "Unit" unit testing frameworks - CC Java / JUnit and CC .Net / NUnit.  As a medium-term task, I would like to port our existing Web Extensions unit tests to a set of "Unit" test cases and run them with the builds.  I am leaning towards CC Java / JUnit for the moment.  Here's a summary of the two toolsets:

CC Java / JUnit
- Available on Windows and Linux
- Web Extensions Java API available on Windows and Linux
- No direct support for MSBuild on Windows

CC .Net / NUnit
- Available on Windows.  May work on Linux with Mono
- Web Extensions .Net API only available on Windows.  Building for Linux may be difficult with SWIG.
- MSBuild is supported on Windows

CC .Net should make the Windows builds easier to implement and could end up being a "dead end" for unit testing on Linux since we do not currently build the .Net Web Extensions on Linux.  That's why I am leaning toward CC Java.  Another alternative would be to go with CC .Net / NUnit on Windows and CC Java / JUnit on Linux.  This would require maintenance of two sets of unit tests.

I suppose the real question is:

Would project developers be willing to support unit testing only in JUnit?

Trevor Wekel
Principal Consultant | OTX Systems
+1 403 870 1582 | trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
http://www.otxsystems.com