[mapguide-internals] EC2 for builds

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Thu Mar 31 23:37:32 EDT 2011

Hello PSC,

In reference to our meeting today, I have decided not to investigate Amazon EC2 for hosting build infrastructure at this time.  I currently do not have spare cycles to migrate/recreate the existing build environment.

The setup of our existing build environment including creation of 6 virtual machines, setup of an SVN mirror, Active Directory authentication for Linux build VMs, and installation of the required build toolsets took approximately 40 hours.

Moving to Amazon EC2 should be more cost effective from a hosting perspective assuming the VMs are shut down when not in use.  It may be possible to import some of the existing VMware build images to EC2.  This would reduce the time it takes to move to EC2.  If the import is not successful, replication of the environment from scratch could take another 40 hours.

I will re-evaluate OTX Systems contribution to builds after MapGuide 2.2 has been released.