[mapguide-internals] MapGuide RFC 112 - sqlite based tile cache

Traian Stanev traian.stanev at autodesk.com
Fri May 13 11:44:16 EDT 2011

For ultimate serving speed of static tile caches, it's would be best to bypass everything MapGuide and serve the tile cache directly from a directory exposed via Apache. This way you would automatically get browser caching as well. This is also why file storage of the tile cache is best for optimal serving speed.

As far as the resource repository, IMO it's small enough to use a direct storage of XML files on the file system (for example, mapping what are currently XMLdb paths to file system paths). Using a database to store blobs in there would complicate things more than necessary and also adds an unnecessary dependency to what could be a really simple piece of code (reading and writing files).

Traian