[mapguide-internals] 3D CircularArc issues

Maksim Sestic max at geoinova.com
Tue Sep 20 06:34:45 EDT 2011

Hi Gavin,

Actually, I was in the middle of porting parts of geometry API to .NET when
I run into this issue (among other things, BTW). I'm also aware that both
FDO and MG share "common" geometry API, while certain solutions found there
originate back to AGDS. Few thingies I've noticed alongside:

- There's two methods of getting Arc center, both involving matrices. The
one is found in SpatialUtilityGeometryExtents.cpp, the other in
SpatialUtilityCircularArc.cpp.
MgSpatialUtilityCircularArc::ComputeCenterRadiusAnglesFromThreePositionsAndN
ormal() uses LUDecomposition, which is overkill.

- "Straight" arcs (arcs whose SP/MP/EP are collinear) are considered
invalid. Why is this so? This is simply a special case, just like an arc
forming a circle.

- Certain geometric methods used in code could be improved. I think that
finding 3D arc's length is one of them :-) Will get back with results once I
finish adapting it to .NET

It would be helpful if FDO/MG provided unit tests on this simplified
geometry level, including special cases for ill-conditioning. I'm preparing
a set of my own unit tests, although structure of my code is not applicable
here.

Regards,
Maksim Sestic