[mapguide-internals] RFC 122 - Configurable CS Dictionary Paths

Hugues Wisniewski hugues.wisniewski at autodesk.com
Fri Sep 30 10:47:01 EDT 2011

Hi Jackie,

It's great that you try to address this issue that's been going on for several years.
I'd like to get more detail about the proposed code change
I suspect you want to modify the implementation of STRING CCoordinateSystemCatalog::GetDefaultDictionaryDir()

In the RFC you mention "1.Read in the dictionary path from serverconfig.ini and webconfig.ini"
What exactly would be responsible for that?
CCoordinateSystemCatalog? Or it would be taken care of outside the MgCoordinateSystemxxx API?

CCoordinateSystemCatalog::GetDefaultDictionaryDir() is called by
CCoordinateSystemCatalog::SetDefaultDictionaryDirAndFileNames() which is called when the coordinate system catalog is being constructed in
CCoordinateSystemCatalog::CCoordinateSystemCatalog()

The catalog is a static member of the MgCoordinateSystemFactory initialized the first time someone needs the factory.
Before that, the catalog is never created and the dictionary path is never set.
It is set the first time the code encounters something like:

MgCoordinateSystemFactory factory; //here we create the factory
MgCoordinateSystem* pCs=Factory.CreateFromCode("LL84");

The MgCoordinateSystem set of APIs is not supposed to not know anything about serverconfig.ini and webconfig.ini so I'm curious to know more about the logic that would replace the current one.

Thanks a lot

Hugues