[mapguide-internals] PATCH: #1977 - Ubuntu/xubuntu 11.10 build fixes

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 12:53:04 EDT 2012

Hi All,

Attached is a patch which was the culmination of a weekend of meticulous
trial and error with gcc and automake :-) This patch preps the MapGuide
source tree to a sufficient state for it to be buildable in Ubuntu 11.10.
The patch allows for full compilation of the entire MapGuide source tree
using the standard developer tools bundled with Ubuntu 11.10:

 - GCC 4.6
 - Automake 1.11.1
 - Libtool 2.4
 - GNU Make 3.81

An important ramification of this patch is that the OSGeo LiveDVD is based
on xubuntu. Thus this patch will hopefully pave the way for MapGuide's
eventual re-inclusion into the OSGeo LiveDVD as it should make building on
Ubuntu much less painful.

There are some points of doubt in this patch which I'll enumerate here:

 1. I had to remove a problematic 64-bit integer check from the GEOS
configure.in. It's included in this patch as we're still not yet planning
for MGOS 64-bit linux builds (right?)
 2. I had to modify an API in the Stylization library (IStructure::Shape()
to IStructure::GetShape()) to resolve a compiler error (declaration of
'virtual RichText::ATOM::Shape::Type RichText::ATOM::IStructure::Shape()
const' changes meaning of 'Shape' from 'class RichText::ATOM::Shape'
[-fpermissive]). From my analysis, this API seems to be only used within the
library so there shouldn't be external side-effects so this change is also
included in this patch.
 3. I had to tweak the librt.so checking in the ACE makefiles (Ubuntu could
not locate librt.so with the existing makefiles). I am not sure whether this
check is "portable" to other linux distros.

Please review (with the above points in mind). Thanks.