[mapguide-internals] Upgrade to VC10 and GDAL 1.9

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Tue Jan 24 20:58:44 EST 2012

Hi internals,

For the next release of MapGuide Open Source,  I would like to propose an upgrade to VC10 as the official compiler and a switch to GDAL 1.9 for the FDO GDAL Provider.

The official FDO 3.7 builds will be released using VC10 so I think we need to do the upgrade for compatibility purposes.  Do we really want more than one C/C++ allocator running amuck in our multi-threaded server app?

GDAL 1.7 is very old and GDAL 1.9 was released last month so a timely upgrade is in order.  I have already started work on the GDAL 1.9 upgrade for FDO http://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/ticket/810.  I'm putting the upgrade in an FDO sandbox until I can validate end-to-end functionality with MapGuide.

To get "full" GDAL format support, ie. ECW, MrSID, JPEG2000, etc., I am planning to use the same approach as MapGuide 2.2.  The standard install will contain basic file format support (TIFF, PNG, JPG) and post install replacement with a full GDAL binary drop will give support for the other formats.  Due to licensing restrictions, I think we have to use this approach anyway.

Eventually, I would like to include more out-of-the-box file format support for FDO GDAL.  That would be a topic for future discussion.

I should having a working MapGuide build by the end of the week.  A working MapGuide installer is further out and I would be happy to collaborate with any interested parties (Jackie, others?) on the installer work.

Please let me know if we need to write up an RFC for all this stuff, or if anyone has concerns with the proposed upgrades.