[mapguide-internals] MGOS 2.4 beta 1 schedule

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 18:44:51 PDT 2012

Hi All,

These last few weeks I've been setting up a Jenkins-based CI using
completely free tools and compilers (in our case, VC2010 Express + Windows
SDK v7.1) to hopefully start pumping out builds of FDO and MapGuide with
greater regularity.

The Jenkins job configurations are stable enough that I think we're ready to
start putting out an official beta release for MGOS 2.4. So this will
consist of:

 * x86 windows installer
 * x64 windows installer
 * x86 InstantSetup bundle (now as a 7zip self-extracting executable)
 * x64 InstantSetup bundle (now as a 7zip self-extracting executable)

On the Linux front, it currently looks like it will be:

 * 32-bit debs for Ubuntu 12.04
 * 32-bit tarball for CentOS 5.6

The CentOS build throws some strange double-free errors when MapGuide runs
as a daemon, but not enough to derail the thing. Also, due to SELinux
security settings, a shell script (which I'll include with the CentOS build)
will have to be run that fixes the SELinux security context of all
MapGuide/FDO so files in order for them to be loadable.

Now due to having no access to a certain ESRI sdk, none of the above
releases will include the ArcSDE provider (the windows installer will still
show the ArcSDE provider as an option, it just won't do anything if
enabled). Would you think this is going to be a problem? I'm personally
thinking we should permanently pull the ArcSDE provider out entirely and
have it made available as an out-of-band release when time/resourcing is
available.

There's some pending patches for MapGuide/FDO under review that I'd like to
get through first before cranking up the builds. If the above issues I
mentioned are not serious (no ArcSDE provider and the CentOS build), I think
we can have the beta release put out before the end of this week or early
next week.