[mapguide-internals] Re: Active Developers?

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Fri May 18 07:13:02 EDT 2012

Some inline responses below.

> Ive experienced this myself when trying to understand MapGuide for the
> first time.  Ace, multiple services, C
> client lib, SWIG bindings, multiple viewers, ... it gets confusing and can
> be hard to get setup for
> debugging/testing.

I guess it's just another case of too much coding, not enough documenting.

Our wiki starting point for MG internals is somewhat lacking in detail:
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MapGuideArchitecture

> What's the status of the weekly board meetings?  Do they still happen?  Is
> Autodesk still actively involved?

We haven't had one of those in a long time. In my time as PSC member, I've
only attended one meeting.

> Traditionally, I believe most MG users are Windows users and as such may
> not be as involved in local Open
> Source Geo user groups.  It might be worthwhile to encourage folks to get
> involved, give presentations on
> their MG setups, etc to some of these groups, at URISA meetings, and other
> GIS meetings.

It shouldn't really matter that most of the users are Windows users. This is
more about the software we're using (MapGuide) and not the platform we're
running it on (Windows).

Of course MapGuide's Linux street cred could always do with some
improvement. We had to pull MapGuide out of the OSGeo LiveDVD due to
inexperience with the Linux platform, and inability to consistently produce
usable Linux builds. It's somewhat better in 2.4 (we have a working Ubuntu
release! yay!)

> This is interesting... Can I ask what features have been proposed to the
> User base that aren't getting
> funded?  Where would you guys like to see MG go?

As already mentioned. GDAL stability and performance is the immediate one.
You are almost guaranteed a post about the GDAL provider in -users almost
every week, yet there isn't any interest in funding a solution.

Where I would like to see MG go personally, is for MG to become a more
workable web service platform. GeoREST plugs some of these deficiencies, but
there's still some way to go.