[mapguide-internals] Permanently drop the ArcSDE provider?

Crispin_at_Linknode crispin.hoult at linknode.co.uk
Mon Sep 24 01:33:23 PDT 2012

Whilst I understand the Open Source-ness argument I think that if MapGuide is
to be respected as a platform for delivering geospatial data then not
including a provider for the most common spatial data server in the
marketplace isn't going to look good in the feature lists against other (eg
Geoserver).

Of all our MapGuide sites, more than 50% are using ArcSDE.  When on Oracle
there is the option to use the KingOracle provider (but not at all obvious
to the uninitiated) but on SQLServer or with ArcSDE direct or with any
ArcSDE format other than SDE binary there is no option.

I think the issue is more a lack of timely formal FDO releases that include
the provider.
Autodesk have been very generous in the donation, support and development of
MapGuide and FDO in the OS space but as custodians of the FDO build/release
process could commit to the management and release process a little more!

 - that's my thoughts.... Crispin