[mapguide-internals] What constitutes "breaking the API"?

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 04:58:13 PDT 2013

Hi All,

I'm after clarification as to what constitutes the MapGuide API whose
compatibility we want to preserve between releases.

I've done some sandbox work to refactor the MgReader streaming mechanism in
the mapagent. This change involved:

 - A constructor change to the MgHttpReaderStreamer class introduced in RFC
130
 - Dll exporting the ByteSourceImpl class in the Foundation library

On the .net/Java/PHP side of things, nothing is changed as the above classes
in question were never exposed to SWIG in the first place so from their
perspective, nothing should have changed.

Is this (.net/Java/PHP) the API we want to preserve and any changes to such
exposed classes/methods requiring an RFC discussion? Or does this include
the C++ side of things as well?

The changes in question that I want to merge back into trunk if anyone's
interested:
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/changeset?new=7760%40sandbox%2Fjng%2Fstreaming_v2&old=7755%40sandbox%2Fjng%2Fstreaming_v2