[mapguide-internals] RFC 140 Errata

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 06:20:06 PDT 2015

Hi All,

In my original RFC 140 proposal, I wrote the following about the XYZ tile
provider support.

>>> The "XYZ" provider implements tile rendering and access using the XYZ
>>> tiling scheme. Coordinate System is always LL84 ...

Upon further analysis, the statement about the LL84 coordinate system is
false. The actual coordinate system that should be always used for XYZ tile
sets is WGS84.PseudoMercator.

Using WGS84.PseudoMercator for XYZ tile sets produces more visually crisp
tiles whereas LL84 tiles have noticeable visual distortions and blurriness.
You can find a screenshot comparison of the XYZ tilesets under the two
coordinate systems attached to the ticket below

http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/ticket/2550

Also included in that ticket is the patch to apply this change.

Are you comfortable with this change of coordinate system for XYZ tile sets?
If the majority accepts this proposed change, it should be applied for all
3.0 milestone branches (both OS and adsk 2016 branches)