[mapguide-internals] MSVC 2015 and Apache/PHP on Windows

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 02:35:36 PST 2015

Hi All,

Since MapGuide has now moved to a new MSVC compiler version, the inevitable
question pops up every few years when such MSVC compiler changes are done
about what to do with bundled Apache/PHP binaries on windows, especially if
they were built with a different version of MSVC.

In our case, with Apache we can get VC14 built binaries from apachelounge.

For PHP, we have a problem in that the official stable releases are still
built with VC11. No third party I know of offers VC14-compiled versions of
the current stable series of PHP.

However, we can take advantage of VC14-compiled binaries for PHP on windows,
if we make the jump to PHP 7, which is currently in release candidate stage
but should be final well before our release window.

But if we do jump to PHP 7, I foresee inevitable wholesale breakage of
various parts of the MapGuide Web Tier that have PHP code, being a major
version change and all.

So my question really is, should we look at making the jump to PHP 7 (and
wear the costs of fixing all the things that have broke) just so that
Apache/PHP/MapGuide will all be on the same MSVC version?

Or can we live with Apache/PHP still being from an older MSVC version and
that it should be technically safe as all these components communicate
through C-exported APIs?