[mapguide-internals] Handling project sponsorship/donations (RFC83 redux)

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 06:12:49 PDT 2018

Hi All,

I want to discuss something that hasn't been talked about in a while:
Donations and Sponsorships.

How does (or how should) the MapGuide Open Source project handle and manage
donations and sponsorships at this point in time and going forward?

My concerns around donations and sponsorships mainly concern:

1. Unclear documented procedure for accepting and managing donations.

RFC 83 discussed this topic and was adopted, but I was not in the PSC at
this time and was not privy to any discussions on this topic.

The current "Donate" link on https://mapguide.osgeo.org points to an
inactive PayPal account and the current "Sponsors" page
(https://mapguide.osgeo.org/sponsors) I'm not sure if that page is actually
up to date.

2. Being able to disperse funds to people capable of taking paid/sponsored
MapGuide development work.

This one is probably the more important point. There might be a perception
in this project that I am the main developer in this project, which is
probably true, but my current situation at the present is such
that while I am capable and happy to work on MapGuide development on a
volunteering basis, I cannot personally accept any kind of financial
sponsorship for MapGuide development work.

I want interested developers who are able to take on sponsored MapGuide
development work to be able take on such work and be easily financially
compensated for it.

Everything mentioned here is equally applicable to FDO as well.

Based on these concerns, I had a look at open collective
(https://opencollective.com/) which seems to ticks most of the boxes in
terms of being able to easily:

 - Collect donation/sponsorship funds
 - Displaying and showcasing backers/sponsors
 - Providing the means of managing and dispersing funds for various
project-related work.

Would it be worth us to set up an open collective account? Are there other
services in this space?

Thoughts?

Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/MapGuide-Internals-f4209935.html