[mapguide-internals] MapGuide Open Source 4.0 Preview 4 available

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 03:11:10 PST 2022

Hi Crispin,

Good to hear the windows installer works on Windows 11. Release notes
updated.

About updating GDAL. The problem right now with updating to GDAL 3+ is the
(now) hard dependency on PROJ, which means to update to use GDAL 3+, we now
also need to:

   1. Add sources for PROJ
   2. Add sources for sqlite3 (because this is a hard dependency of PROJ
   and we can't rely on the sqlite3 used by the SQLite provider as its
   internals have been heavily modified to suite the needs of the FDO provider)
   3. Both GDAL 3+ and PROJ require CMake 3.10+ to build and we now have to
   build this with CMake on both Windows and Linux
   4. We might as well get FDO to build with CMake for both Windows and
   Linux at this point.

In short, there is *lots of work* involved. What would help us a lot on
this front is if we can get FDO to leverage vcpkg for all of its
thirdparty libs. Using vcpkg means we can completely eliminate our internal
FDO thirdparty sources as all the libs we're currently using can be
acquired by vcpkg. However, adopting vcpkg means we actually have to get
FDO building with CMake on both Windows and Linux (point #4 above).

So as you can hopefully see, there is not only a lot of work, but also a
lot of tradeoffs to consider as well.

- Jackie

http://themapguyde.blogspot.com