[mapguide-users] Seven services in MGOS Site?

Kathy Wilson kathywilson81 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 21:11:00 EDT 2006

Thank you very much Traian.

I went through the Getting Started Guide of MG Studio Preview and I think
it's a great tutorial. I even managed to load my own SHP file which
contained a network of roads and managed to display the names of the roads
too. Hats off to developers of MGOS and Studio for developing such a
wonderful and user friendly framework. Even a newbie like me could follow
the instructions and develop a map.

I have a few more questions though. Please bear with me for my newbie
questions.
1. Although I worked with an SHP file, I am not exactly sure of it's format
and what more I could do with it. For example, when I went through the
sample application code, I saw that it has used another geocoding service (
http://geocoder.us/service/rest/geocode) to get the coordinates of an
address. Instead, can I search a street name in the layer and get the
coordinates? (since I believe all that information is in that layer).
Also, can I do the converse. That is, can I read a street name off a layer,
given coordinates?

2. What's the difference between a tiled map and line map (as the SHP one I
have with roads) ?

I would really appreciate if you can point me to any place where I could get
more information of these technologies.

--
Kathy Wilson