[mapguide-users] Experiences with Oracle Spatial

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Fri Aug 4 06:25:23 EDT 2006

I hear Arnulf in the background (Open Source IS commercial).  Even so, I don't think there are very many die-hards on this list, so you shouldn't get in too much trouble offering support for a proprietary product... ;)

As many hurdles as Autodesk has faced in producing MapGuide as an Open Source product, I'm sure that adjusting support mechanisms to deal with it is one of the hardest.  It would cost Autodesk a lot less in traditional terms if developers were restricted from participating in this list, but then a lot of the benefits of Open Source would not be realised, and it would be exceptionally difficult to build a strong community.  My feeling is that it's impossible to realise the full benefits of Open Source without adopting the model wholesale.  I strongly believe that Autodesk's behaviour in dealing with this issue will make or break the success of MapGuide as an Open Source project, and I'm worried because transparency and interaction is difficult for an organisation with a very strong history of secrecy.  Hopefully, a ghost from the past will help lead the way:  http://www.fourmilab.ch/autofile/www/chapter2_62.html

By the way; I apologise if none of this makes sense.  It's 3:17AM, and I'm feeling a bit loopy.  Thanks to Gary Lang for mentioning John Walker in his GeoTec presentation btw.  The Autodesk File is fascinating reading (which is why I'm up so late).  http://www.fourmilab.ch/autofile/

Jason