Mapguide OS/Enterprise versus Google maps mashup

Swati Prabhu swatip at bonair.stanford.edu
Fri Aug 4 13:09:30 EDT 2006

Hi Everyone,

I do hope this is the right forum to discuss this concern and regret the
rather long post.

We have a rather critical application with high visibility for our Campus
map application. We used Mapguide 6.5 Liteview(and Cold Fusion) to deploy
this in Production in january. Unfortunately, we have had severe
performance issues and negative feedback about it overall. Located at :
http://campusmap.stanford.edu

In the meanwhile, some students have developed a mashup using Google maps
API and are using Google maps + our cold fusion reporting structure. This
application is gaining in popularity and we are under pressure to
officially support it with updated data and by adding any missing
functionality. Located at: http://www.stanford.edu/hpcgi/map/index.pl

We do see a lot of pros and cons to each of the approaches. We are
envisioning that Mapguide OS/Enterprise can give us the best of both
worlds? It does require significant setup, programming and rework of
everything, and we would be willing to put in the effort if we had a strong
case to go that route.

Any thoughts from this forum on pursuing this Google Maps API mashup versus
venturing into mapguide OS/enterprise as a long term solution?

We have seen many of the posts related to integrating Google maps with
Mapguide OS ( particulary Andy Morsell's example)  and unfortunately that
adds to our dilemma of a suitable direction . :)

Thanks!!
Swati