[mapguide-users] RE: Oracle Spatial v/s Oracle Locator with MapGuide FDO

Li, Meng meng.li at vancouver.ca
Thu Aug 31 18:56:46 EDT 2006

I would like to confirm most of what Andy said about using FDO Provider
for Oracle with MGE.

We are using Oracle Spatial (9i) with a Spatial schema mapped with
Autodesk OSE Schema for updates.

Now with FDO Provider for Oracle, we can only access and retrieve
drectly (on the fly or through the 'reverse engineering) the Spatial
tables (not views) from the existing schemas (Spatial or OSE) using
either Studio or Map 3D 2007. However, the performance, as others
mentioned here, has been terribly slow. Besdies, the MGE map often
doesn't show properly either from the AJAX viewer or DWF one, and it
seems to have a map refresh problem between the client and the server. I
have to trigger a refresh event to see my map layers using functions
like zoom in, pan, refresh etc., and then I do see my map layers in the
end. So, this is defintely not a map extent definition issue.

In summary, we encountered these major problems in using FDO Provider
for Oracle with MGE: 1) not being able to access the views of our
existing schemas in Oracle; 2) very slow and bad performance; and 3) a
map refreshing problem: not being able to see map layers (blank map)
initially or after one or two clicks on viewer functions.

We are now trying to use Map 3D 2007 to migrate or map our existing
Spatial/OSE schemas to FDO ones, and hopefully MGE can access the
migrated native FDO schemas without the problems mentioned above.
However, this is not our preferred approach because we prefer to keep
our existing Spatial schemas which support better interoperability and
extensibility. Even with the FDO datastore/schema creation approach, we
found very limited available documentation on it. Briefly speaking, it
involves these steps (unfortunately using Map 3D 2007): create a FDO
user account with required privileges(DBA job with FdoUserManager),
create a FDO dataStore with initial settings, create FDO Schema and
feature classes (Schema Editor), loading/migrating the existing schema
data into the FDO feature classes (using Bulk Copy). Of course once a
FDO feature class is created, Map 3D 2007 can be used to digitize and
store the data into the FDO feature table.

Thanks

Meng Li

City of Vancouver
Canada