[mapguide-users] How to display moving symbos on a map?

Brad Nesom kidsmake6 at msn.com
Fri Dec 15 09:17:03 EST 2006

Charlie,
I think what my two cents says is that MG ent may be overkill. In my opinion
mapguide 6.5 is not overkill for any organization or project. It is a quick
simple way to share gis data with not only non gis uers but with everyone.
The third cent or the bad nickel is that MG OS/Ent is not an out of the box
solution. It will do just simple display but the build/configuration process
is much more technical. Then you have a lot of flexibility to build
application on top of that base. MG6.5 did not allow Autodesk to develop
that direction.
The good news is that Autodesk does still sell 6.5 and I would have to
assume that if sales of 6.5 exceeded the ent implementations they may
consider their folly.
JM2c
Brad
NOTE: I only have experience with mg 6.5. The only thing I have done with
mg/ent is to not be able to get it running.

Does it have extra pieces that have nothing to do with a browser-based map?
NO
Also, am I correct in thinking that the two projects you mention below
require a back-end wms service such as MapServer to serve the map tiles,
while MapGuide is a complete package which includes that functionality?
MG6.5 does support wms on paper I don't know that I have ever seen or heard
of any working examples. However your orginal post mentioned... are
> given and updated by an outside service.
Wfs/wms should not be considered the only solution to this task. Some of the
possibilities would depend on the network relationships of these services
you speak of. In other words what does outside mean. Another strong
consideration is what formats the outside services support. Such as ogc,
wfs/wms, oracle spatial, esri sde, arcgis server, mge (Intergraph),
mappoint, google map api, osgeo.
The list grows daily!