[mapguide-users] Guestion about Spatial Data v SHP,SDF your opinion pleas.

Brad Nesom kidsmake6 at msn.com
Fri Dec 15 11:12:33 EST 2006

I can't speak at all for mg os/ent. I have used mg 6.5 for several years.
However the decision to use oracle spatial data objects was based on
interoperability rather than performance.
Oracle for us was a fairly cheap solution. We did a single processor
standard edition one which limits you to one processor and unlimited users.
With only locator (not full spatial)
This allowed integration of an expanding list of software that is SDO
compliant. In a municipality it can be non-productive to dictate software
platforms for different departments. So we decided to remove the software
dictate and apply a format dictate that would allow departments to find
different software that would write to the same format. SDO did this for us.
I just watched yesterday and Autodesk webcast for city of Tacoma with this
exact model.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=7217173
BTW the Tacoma isn't uploaded yet wait until next week or so and it should
be there.
The long and short and hidden part of this discussion is that then you
remove the "hard drive copy" (file lock) problem of non enterprise file
formats.
As far as performance goes I would think that the discussion would have to
be table normalization, size, edited dynamics, usage. (by the time you test
performance on the same data in different formats you should already have
optimized the data or you are just testing GIGO as the old saying goes.)
Anyone could build a bad database that would bring even the best
hardware/software combos to their knees.
That is about the breadth of my understanding of the big differences between
sdf, shp vs rdbms.
Brad